Researching CBD can lead to a load of confusing and conflicting information. Maybe you’ve heard great things from a friend or influencer who says CBD was life-changing for them. You might be struggling with health issues or stress and seeking alternatives or additions to pharmaceuticals and wondering if CBD could be your answer. But first, there’s a lot of questions you need answered, and it’s hard to find helpful information. Is CBD even right for you? What kind of CBD should you try? How should you ingest it? What should you look for in high-quality CBD products? We want to help lay out the basics so you can make an informed decision and feel confidently in control of your health.
CBD, also known as cannabidiol, comes from the cannabis plant. Unlike its stronger counterpart, THC, CBD doesn’t cause any psychoactive effects. CBD has been shown to have a number of potential health benefits, including supporting emotional balance and well-being, improving sleep quality, and aiding the body in fighting inflammation.
CBD products are available in a variety of forms, including oils, capsules, gummies, topicals, edibles, and vaping products. When choosing a CBD product, it is important to consider your individual needs and preferences.
Here is a brief overview of the different types of CBD products:
- CBD oils: CBD oils are taken orally or sublingually (under the tongue). Oils are great when you want something that will get to work fast. You can also try different concentrations and flavors as well as formulas with a range of cannabinoids, that work together with CBD to enhance the effects. Learn more about the differences between Full Spectrum, Broad Spectrum, and Isolate CBD.
- CBD capsules: CBD capsules are a convenient way to take CBD. They are typically available in a variety of dosages, so you can choose the one that is right for you.
- CBD gummies: CBD gummies are a tasty and convenient way to take CBD. They are typically available in a variety of dosages and flavors. Gummies are perfect if you want to enjoy a tasty little treat along with your CBD or you just do better ingesting gummies versus oils or capsules.
- CBD topicals: CBD topicals are applied directly to the skin. They are available in a variety of forms, including creams, lotions, salves, and balms. Great for everyday aches, muscle soreness and other close-to-the-surface woes, topicals can be a part of a post-workout routine or after work relaxation ritual.
- CBD edibles: CBD edibles are foods or drinks that have been infused with CBD. They are available in a variety of products, including candy, chocolate, and baked goods.
- CBD vaping products: CBD vaping products are inhaled using a vaporizer. They are available in a variety of flavors and concentrations.
When choosing a CBD product, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- Your individual needs: What are you hoping to achieve by using CBD? If you are looking to reduce anxiety, you may want to choose a CBD oil or capsule. If you are looking for help with pain and inflammation, you may want to choose a CBD topical or edible. A CBD product containing THC and other cannabinoids may be more effective for certain health concerns than CBD alone.
- Your dosage: CBD comes in a variety of dosages. It’s important to start with a low dose and increase gradually as needed to avoid any side effects. CBD side effects are generally better tolerated than stronger products containing THC, and caution should be taken when starting THC products. Be sure to know exactly what’s in your CBD products by choosing ones that are third-party tested for potency and purity and packaging should clearly state the amount of CBD in each serving/package.
- The type of CBD: There are three main types of CBD: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and isolate. Full-spectrum CBD contains all of the compounds found in the cannabis plant, including THC. Broad-spectrum CBD contains all of the compounds found in the cannabis plant except for THC. Isolate CBD is pure CBD with no other compounds from the cannabis plant.
- The quality of the product: It is important to buy CBD products from reputable companies that use high-quality ingredients. Look for products that are third-party tested to ensure they contain the amount of CBD that is advertised.
One of the most important first steps you can take is speaking with your doctor to make sure you do not have any contraindications for taking CBD. If you are cleared to try it, choose a product from a reputable, transparent CBD company like Shell Shock CBD and start with a low dose. You can increase gradually as needed to avoid any side effects. A good starting dose is 10-20 mg of CBD per day. If the product contains THC, try starting with half or quarter of the recommended dose.
Be patient. It may take some time to find the right CBD product for you and to find the right dosage. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different products, formulas and dosages until you find what works best for you.